Friday, April 24, 2009

Burning things up


I'm off to a wood-fire today. There are many ways of firing pots and using wood is one of the more traditional and spectacular ways. The electric kiln is convenient and predictable (until the stinking elements burn out or the pyrometer gives the wrong reading or the cone-sitter breaks or the digital thingy stops working) but wood firing is very exciting, noisy, messy and fun. This kiln belongs to my teacher, Elizabeth Priddy, out in Beaufort. There's a whole group of us this week learning to fire her mini wood kiln. Traditionally, a wood-fire takes several days, her kiln takes about 9 hours. Yesterday we glazed and loaded, today we burn. If I get anything good, I'll post a picture of it.

No comments:

My pottery

My pottery

My pottery

My pottery

My pottery

My pottery

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP